Sunday, September 29, 2013

Little Red Hen Gets Wise

           It’s day three of “no toys”.  I am still sane, in my right mind, and most importantly, alive.  There have been no attempts at mutiny and no death threats.  So far, so good.  This “Little Red Hen” may have stumbled upon some wisdom. She is not going to do it all by herself, anymore.
            Each morning, I have been greeted by a different toy grouping that has been dumped out onto the floor.  My days began with a mess made mostly of small unnecessary plastic objects, and ended with a mess of small unnecessary plastic objects.  It drove me to drink some strong coffee and to do some deep breathing exercises.  The toys were taking over.
            So, two weeks ago, I sent a warning shot across the bow of my children’s Toys R Us Carnival Cruise Ship.  The toys were going to go for a long walk, somewhere far away.  Their life aboard “The Good Ship Lollipop” was going to change.  It was either the toys or me.  I decided that no three foot by three foot blob of toy Legos, army men, and plastic blocks was going to get one over on me.  I knew that the toys themselves were innocent.  The toys had just become a casualty of war; my war against “Lazy Butt Entitlement Syndrome”. 
            My final solution: organize the toys one last time in their bins, clear room for them in the attic, and store every last one of the toys in the attic.  My only compromise: when I saw change of heart, one bin might, might come out each week and then be exchanged for another bin, but no more than one bin per week.  After my declaration had been broadcast to the family, my husband stood up and applauded, the children were frozen in silence.  Then, the fight began.
            I was prepared.  I made myself mentally and emotionally ready for anything.  I anticipated a great resistance and I got one.  It began early in the morning on the day of “The Big Sort”. 
            Fits of shaking, tears, fists shaken at the heavens, and many great speeches on the benefits of toys came my way.  I was a wall, unmoved, undeterred.  Then the bargaining began.
            “Mom, can I just keep this one car out, this one hat, this one plastic army man…”  I stood my ground, “No”.  The psychological warfare was not working.  Then they began their final assault.  The weeping and deep guttural groans erupted from them like a choir of dying hyenas as the sorted toy bins went up the attic stairs. 
            When the final toy was put away, the children became very still and peaceful.  I think it surprised them that they were ok, even after the toys were all put away.  They accepted the reality of what had just taken place and fought no more. 
            Now the fighting, yelling, and hours of picking up toys became almost nonexistent.  It was a moment of grace. I think the Little Red Hen finally got wise and decided to stop making and baking the bread for her ungrateful friends.  She has too many other things to do in a day.  She was tired of watching her housemates play all day while she worked for them. Sometimes Mommas have to make hard calls to protect their little ones.The change in toy policy brought us a peace we desperately needed.
            My youngest son, Elias, was observing a mother cat and her kittens outside of a friend’s house today and said,” That Mommy kitty is protecting the baby kittens because the baby kittens like to play in the trash.  And that trash is yucky.”  Yes, my son, just like that mommy cat, I too want to protect my little “kittens” because they too like to play with the “trash”. 
            A seasoned mother once said, “Little children exude little plastic toys and bits of trash.”  It is so true.  A small child cannot care for the large inventory of toys most of us have collected over the years.  Children can become overwhelmed by so many things to see and do, let alone pick up and put back just the way they find it.  It can be a full time job just keeping all of the toys put away and organized.  Frankly, I have too many jobs and it was time for me to retire from “toy manager”. 
            John Rosemond, well known parenting columnist, likes to say that children cannot handle any more toys to care for than their numerical age, and the child’s toy inventory should never exceed ten.  That is a hard line you may say.  Well, it is all in what one may want.
            I was becoming the shoe salesman at Sears.  “What size do you wear, how does it fit, don’t like that?, I think I may have that in brown, let me go check.”  I was going to the stock room exchanging box after box of unnecessary plastic objects and I was beginning to get the look of the shoe salesman at the end of the day.  It was not pretty.
            When what my children and I thought they needed in order to get through the day to be happy was taken away, it exposed some interesting things.  What would we do with our time now?  How can I keep myself occupied now?  Will I be ok without the toys?  So far, we are all fine.  And you know what, not once, not for even one minute, have the children asked me to get their toys out for them.  They play outside longer, they imagine all kinds of things, they tell stories and act them out, they build things in the woods, they draw, and put puzzles together.  My children play the way their grandparents played, with less. 
            I have been on a journey to simplify our lives for a while now and my courage is building.  I am gaining the strength to follow through on what some may think is a life of Spartan minimalness.  But I am seeing us come alive to a life freed up from “stuff” and I am seeing what was once dull begin to sparkle. 
            Today, we picked up some trash, did some laundry, and put some dishes away before we went to the park.  There were no visions of block puddles upon the floor or mounds of plastic animals in the back of my mind.  I was not distracted.  I was focusing on my children who were being children. I was able to see my children gain courage too.
            My daughter was able to take part in a ropes course along with some friends, including zip line and rock wall.  I watched her being pulled way up into the air in her harness and then swing back and forth in the air with a smile on her face.  “I had to be pretty brave today, Mom.  It was hard, but I did it.   You should do it too, Mom.  If I can do it, you can too.” 
           Yes, Bella, if you can do it, then so can I.  I can be your Mom and protect you and your brothers from all of that ”trash” you like to play in sometimes.  I love you and you inspire me to go higher too.    Less stuff and more people, more time with the people that I love.  More time to watch them soar higher and higher with smiles on their faces.
~Your Fellow Sojourner


Bella and her friends at the ropes course.

Article by John Rosemond on Toys

No comments:

Post a Comment