Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Man Does Not Live By Lettuce Alone



            One of the topics my husband discussed with me before we were married was dinner. He was quite adamant about dinnertime. If possible, our family would always eat together.  My husband is serious about food.  He loves it.  He loves to look at it, cook it, buy it, read about it, and most certainly, eat it.  Meals are borderline sacred to him.  One of the goals I have in life is to see dinner as he sees it.   No TV dinners in our house.  Well, sharing take out Chinese on the floor might come close.
            And so, we have tried to hit this goal.  And I must say, it has been reached for most of our meals, if not all of them.  We do eat together.  And for our busy family, it has been stabilizing. 
            Now, before you begin to have visions of serene Norman Rockwell type evenings at the dinner table in our home, let me speak plainly.  Dinnertime in our house is like a war zone.  It all comes out.  Whatever anyone is feeling or thinking, or sometimes digesting, all comes out. 
            I think at least 50% of our disciplining occurs at dinnertime.  No other meal is like it.  It just brings out the champion in all of us.  Champion sinners, that is.  But sometimes there are bright moments.  Moments that give us hope that yes, one day, there will be peace at our table.
            One evening we were eating a salad with some beautiful mixed greens.  The different lettuces inspired my husband to wax eloquently about the food.  I must admit, a good part of me ignored his treatise on the salad.  This was my chance to eat without too much interruption. 
            Now, you must understand something, the people in our family like to talk.  I know, you are shocked and bewildered.  But yes, it is true.  Most of us like to talk.  And this evening it was no exception.  Unfortunately, only the twins were somewhat engaged in their father’s speech on greens.  Everyone else was trying to give their own speech.  And the target audience was Dad.
            The dinner chorus was coming to a crescendo.  Everyone was vying for Daddy’s attention.  Until, Liam had had enough.  “Dad! Dad!  Tell me some more amazing things! Dad! Dad!  Tell me some more amazing things!”  He was leaning in to his father, imploring him to tell him more about the leaves.  Liam’s cries reached forte level and everyone else grew quiet.  His father was speaking and telling him something he had never heard before, and to him, it was amazing, even if it was about lettuce. 
            Liam was employing all of his senses as he learned about lettuce leaves from his father, and he would not be deterred.  He would grasp this information at any cost.  Even at the risk of being turned away or drowned out.  But, his father heard his cries and saw his earnestness.  When Chris spoke again about the intricacies of the lettuce, Liam became quiet and meek.  He was receiving instruction from his father.
            How often do we cry out with all that we have for truth?  How often do we stay and fight through the crowd to receive whatever the Giver of Truth will say to us?  How often do we stop speaking and become quite and listen?  When our Father speaks, do all other voices fall away?  Do we take His words for granted?  Do we say to ourselves, ”Soul, pay attention.  Your Father is speaking to you, and His words are precious.” 
            Liam ate his precious leaves, as he learned to call them, with relish.  Petite purple, dark green, and yellow-green leaves, all in a delicious flavorful mixture.  We all paused and looked at the lettuce in a new way.  The salad was a thing of beauty to those that lingered long enough to see what my son had seen.  He had seen something through his Father’s eyes.
                                                                                                    ~Your Fellow Sojourner
            O LORD, my heart is not lifted up;
               my eyes are not raised too high;
                I do not occupy myself with things
                too great and too marvelous for me.
                But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
                like a weaned child with its mother;
                like a weaned child is my soul within me.
                O Israel, hope in the LORD
                from this time forth and forevermore.
                                                                     (Psalm 131 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment