Saturday, April 21, 2012

Up, Up and Away!


            I think I can relate to Superman.  I know a truth, but I live among a people that I am trying to hide from.  Am I truly “not of this world”?  Have I really been given the mission “to be in the world, but not of it”?
I find myself doing things and thinking things with a power that is otherworldly.  I have been feeling more comfortable in my earthly clothes than in my super suit.  When Superman was in costume, or maybe it was what he was truly born to wear, he became a target and a magnet at the same time.  It wearied him, it can weary me.  Unless…  I live in the power of the One who sent me.
            I have had a mission ever since I was adopted.  Bought back from the Enemy with the blood of Jesus, I am infused with the life of God through the work of my Redeemer’s cross.  I have a mission to take the saving power of God to those who are dying.  But, I hear many confusing voices. I have rubbed up against some kryptonite.  It looks beautiful, but it is deadly to the soul of an alien.  It is even more seductive to those who once were bound to its lies.  Sin.  Bondage.  Death.  Only One has ever lived and walked and had no need of rescue; He always was and always will be the God-Man Jesus Christ.  But, oh, the power of this Man’s sacrifice has been given to me! Kryptonite, be gone!
            I am realizing that I can duck and hide in a phone booth or disguise my true identity. But big coke bottle glasses can only hide me for so long.  I need to become more comfortable with my super suit.  I have been placed here until my mission is complete.
 I have read and heard the stories of other aliens, of their glories and failures.   I know where every one of their stories ends… in the safety and love of their Father in Heaven.  Every one of them died in the preserving love of God. 
            I do not know what every day holds… the life I live is one of secret mission.  I await my instructions every day.  My enemies are standing by, just as I am.  But they will never have their ultimate satisfaction. One day I will get the call to come home.  Until then, my Father will protect my life.  And when I trade this dying body for one imperishable, the Enemy will feel the sting of the defeat he has already been dealt.  Another soul beyond his grip.
            So, I am getting a little more carless about my cape showing.  I know my disguise only makes other people more comfortable.  Even as I am all things to all people, I know that my super suit shows.  My disguise is getting thinner.  
            So, fellow aliens, do not hide your true citizenship, let it show.  You bear the name of Jesus.  Let your true identity out and be not ashamed of who you are.  You are not of this world.  You are going to be a little “Clark Kentish”, just a little odd.  The more you embrace where you are going, the more the things of this world will fall away.  The closer you come to the world that is not like this one, the more you will reflect its glory.
 When you get the call, go unashamed in the name of the Lord. He is with you, what can man do?  Sojourners are untouchable and have been set free from fear.  Just remember, steer clear of the kryptonite…
                                                        ~Your Fellow Sojourner

            [14] I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. [15] I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. [16] They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. [17] Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. [18] As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. [19] And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.     
(John 17:14-19 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment