Friday, November 8, 2013

Captain of the Storm

     “That didn’t really happen.  I mean, He can’t stop a storm, right?”  I heard as I walked into the room. “Yes, he can.  He’s God.” The twins were in theological deadlock.  One was being a realist and the other a believer in the impossible. I felt a need to direct them a little.  “Well, God can do whatever he wants, he is God.”   Then Winston continued in his incredulity. “How did he do that? “  “Just listen,” I said as the cd began to tell the story of “The Captain of the Storm.”
     Later in the day, the “believer” needed some correction.  We had met in this place of correction many times before for the same infraction.  Liam needed a breakthrough, a fresh perspective.   I reminded him of the story he had just heard.   “You know how you feel all that anger and sadness and frustration?  It’s like a storm isn’t it?  Jesus can still that storm in you, Liam.  You need to ask Him to do that.  I need it too.  He can still the storm in your heart.”  And do you know, his shoulders softened and his eyes got big, and I knew that something was happening to him.  He was coming to the point of understanding that the only place he could go for any real hope of change was to God.  And as I was talking with him, I saw myself.   

     I had been feeling the monster storm of anger and the overwhelming waves of frustration too.  It stopped me in mid stride to hear my son think that God could not possibly have stilled a storm.  But, I don’t believe it either.  I let the storm of life swirl around me and I let it carry me away.  I get caught up in the riptide of my emotions.  I know that giving myself over to emotions only leads me to a dangerous uncontrollable place.  A place where I forget who God is, that He not only created the seas, but He can part them too.  The test comes for all of us.  Who will take control?
      I know that I can no more captain my own soul than the kayak I stepped into last month.  It looked easy.  I mean, kids were doing this, right?  And so, throwing caution and common sense to the wind, I lowered myself into the kayak.  After pushing the kayak into the water it didn’t seem that bad.  The sky was beautiful and sunny and we were surrounded by fellow kayakers who were smiling as they rowed.  Then the spinning began.   I knew this directionlessness would not get better.  I didn’t know what I was doing. What looked easy was misleading.  All I prayed for now was that we could somehow row ourselves back to shore. My worst fear was that a rescue party would have to come three yards from the shore to help one directionless mother and two children.   I knew I would be secure on the shore.  I could trust the land.  I knew how to navigate that.  Thankfully we spun our way back to the sandy bank and a kind soul pulled us out.  Boat captaining is not in my future.

     In battle the Captain is the one who leads his troops into danger.  A good Captain knows where his men stand.  How much have they slept?  What have they eaten this morning?  Is anything weighing on their minds?  Who has wounds that need time to heal?  Are they thirsty?  He must know what his men will face when he leads them into the fray.  He knows he holds their lives in his hands. 
     I know no better captain than the One who has faced every hell that life can throw at a person.  He has known hunger and thirst, he has known insult and desertion, and he has known homelessness and a longing for home.  He bore it all to lead me through every fiery trial.  My God has captained every storm perfectly.  He even shows me how to close my eyes and rest a while.  He shepherds me through the valley of the shadow of death where I fear no evil.  With His rod and His staff, He comforts me.                                                        

     I spoke these words from the 23rd Psalm to Ms. Flo last week.  She can’t seem to stay out of the hospital or the rehab center these days.  She doesn’t know what lies ahead.  “I wish I could just know, just know that I am with Him.”  And my heart leapt to tell her yes.  You can know that He is with you.  He is the Good Shepherd who cares for His sheep.  He will come to all who call on the name of the Lord.  He will safely to His haven guide, until the storms of life have passed.

~ Your Fellow Sojourner

                “Jesus Lover of My Soul”

                  Jesus, lover of my soul,
               let me to thy bosom fly,
               while the nearer waters roll,
               while the tempest still is high.
               Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
               till the storm of life is past;
               safe into the haven guide;
               O receive my soul at last.

               Other refuge have I none,
               hangs my helpless soul on thee;
               leave, ah! leave me not alone,
               still support and comfort me.
               All my trust on thee is stayed,
               all my help from thee I bring;
               cover my defenseless head
               with the shadow of thy wing.

               Thou, O Christ, art all I want,
               more than all in thee I find;
               raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
               heal the sick, and lead the blind.
               Just and holy is thy name,
               I am all unrighteousness;
               false and full of sin I am;
               thou art full of truth and grace.

               Plenteous grace with thee is found,
               grace to cover all my sin;
               let the healing streams abound,
               make and keep me pure within.
               Thou of life the fountain art,
               freely let me take of thee;
               spring thou up within my heart;
               rise to all eternity.

                 By Charles Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment