Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why I Love Being a Creative Woman


      I have not always liked being female.  There have been times in my life when I thought that being a man would be so much more fulfilling.  But more and more, I love being a woman.
      I feel like a wine that has been marinating for a while.  It is starting to ripen and the taste is improving. I know that my life has been brief compared to many. I do not speak only about myself, but for all women who have courageously lived some life.  
       I love the variety of creativeness in women.  No two women are alike.  Women are as varied as the differing patterns and colors of a lovingly handmade quilt. Yes, men are creative, but women, women have a creativity all their own.  Artistry softens our lives, because our days and hours encompass so many things. We have been designed to embrace life with an artistic flair.   
     Circumstances and people can attempt to suppress the gifts in a woman’s life, but if a creative spark is there, it will glow, however muted it may be.
       One of the key things in my life has been the people who saw the gifts and talents I have and called me to use them.  My father has always been my number one creative cheerleader.  He has never told me that I should not try to do something or that I could not do something.  He has always believed in who God has made me to be.  He helped to forge a foundation in my life that would enable me to take risks and make big leaps of faith.  Thank you, Dad.  Thank you, everyone who helped in pouring the beautiful creative foundation of my life. 
       I enjoy telling other women, no matter what the age, to “go for it!”  It is a joy to see women walking in what they were destined to do.  It is like seeing a fine piece of art.  When you get up close to the real thing, it is always bigger and clearer than what you thought it would be.  You see the details that made it great.
       But I am all too aware of the times in my life, and in others’ lives, when fear dampens the creative flow.  Fear is the enemy of the joyful creative life.  What if this does not turn out to be what I think it will be?  What if others never understand me?  What if it costs me a great deal?
       Truth and love are the fire that reignites the creative soul.  Speaking, reading, hearing, meditating, and living the truth turns into courageous faith.  Love cushions us when the naysayers come.  Love heals the wounds of the failures of the past. 
       Are you a woman?  Embrace it!  You have been creatively made and have a creative intention.  Are you a man?  Speak truth and love to the women that you know.  Call them to live a courageous creative life, and you will be blessed by them!  Are you someone who believes themselves to be uncreative?  Do not compare yourself to another, do what you love to do and bless someone else.  Even making a bed can be a great creative endeavor. 
       Anna Mary Robertson was born into a farming family with ten children in the 1860s.  She went on to marry and live the life of a farmer’s wife and had ten children herself.  The hardness of life drew out her creativity.  Instead of becoming bitter at the end of her life, she made art.  Grandma Moses shared with all of us her love of the simple ways of life through her paintings.  But, her creativity began long before the first painting dried in her daughter’s home.  She had been embellishing her life with art for a long time.
        I want to go into my future embellishing everything around me.  Like the woman of the poet in Proverbs 31, I want to wear strength and dignity so that I can laugh at the days to come.  Oh, let me not eat the bread of idleness, but let me hold and taste the fruit of my hands.  I cannot see what the days ahead will hold, but I do know that as I use these creative gifts, I will stop and close my eyes, and smile at the future. 
       ~ Your Fellow Sojourner


No comments:

Post a Comment