Monday, July 9, 2012

Getting Married at Six


                Mothering happens in moments of time.  Often the intentional things that we do as mothers are just as important as the unexpected ones.  And yesterday I had a momentary discussion with my son as I was slicing tomatoes. 
                “Mom” “Yes son”  “S. whispered to me that she is going to marry me.  I can’t wait to marry her.” “I know you want to marry her, but the best thing for you to do right now is to pray for her.  Pray that she just loves Jesus and then she will love you too.”  “Yes, I am going to pray that she loves me.”  “No, you need to pray that she loves Jesus and you need to pray that you love Jesus too.  Then you will both love each other the way you should. You know, you can’t get married at 5; you have to become a man first.  That is a long time from now.  So, you have a lot of growing up to do.”    “I am not going to get married at 5, I am going to get married at 6.”  “So, you are going to get married when you are 6?”  “No, at 6.”  “Do you mean 6, as is 6 pm?”  “Yes, and Pop-pop will be there and Grammy will be there and you will be there.”  “Oh.”  “Well Mom, that is enough for now, we can talk about this some more in the morning.”  He runs off. 
                Yes, the cute factor was strong in this encounter, but the Spirit really caused me to sit up and pay attention while my son was sharing with me.  This is not the first conversation this child has had with me about marrying this little girl.  In fact, this has been going on for over a year now.  He truly does love this little girl.  He is very serious about marrying her.  As serious as a 5 year old can be.   Only God knows if this will come to be, but in the meantime, I do know what God would have him become before he takes a bride.
                Every child has a certain “bent”, a way in which he or she tends to grow.  I have come to see the “bents” of my children and ask the Lord how I can use their innate likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, to point them in the direction of the King and His Kingdom.  And during this mothering moment, I had a greater insight into this child’s soul.
                His name means “a happy place” and “God dwelling with us”.   He has always been one to enjoy the company of others and is generaly a happy kid.  He likes to be at home and likes to work hard outside.   He has the most “shepherd-like” character of all of our children.  He loves to care for others and see them happy.  He is the “touchy-feely” kind of kid.  He was just made to love a wife and children.
                He has always wanted to marry and have children.  When he talks of the future he talks of leaving home, having his own home, and having many children.  He just knows what he wants – even at 5.  He has also told us that he wants to be a boxer and then a farmer.  J  Mmmm, don’t know if I can help with that one, but I will pray…
                So, my son, how do you need to grow in order to be a godly husband and father?  This is more important than any vocational training you will ever have.  Souls and eternity are at stake.  How can I help you and care for you as you grow toward this godly desire?  I have the future in mind for you as you speak to your siblings and as you employ self-control, as you learn to make your bed and as you learn to write you name.  You are a husband and father in training.  I am your mother-teacher.  I am praying that God would give me the wisdom of Solomon’s mother and may you see Jesus through me.  May I rise and call you blessed my son, as you grow into a man who knows the way of the righteous.  I love you. 
                                                                          ~Your Fellow Sojourner
              Blessed is the man
                                who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
                nor stands in the way of sinners,
                                nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
                but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
                                and on his law he meditates day and night.
                He is like a tree
                                planted by streams of water
                that yields its fruit in its season,
                                and its leaf does not wither.
                In all that he does, he prospers.
                The wicked are not so,
                                but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
                Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
                                nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
                for the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
                                but the way of the wicked will perish.
                                         (Psalm 1 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment